Movie buffs fashion themselves to be quite the astute individuals, a beautiful combination of intelligence, taste, and an appreciation of all this artistic. It is quite the event when one movie aficionado finds themselves face-to-face with their match. As with any couple, finding things in common is a major key to having a great relationship, but for movie lovers, the innate power of cinema and appreciation for the celluloid arts makes for a highly combustible love.
However, there are still the same woes that all couples deal with and that includes the saga of what to do for ‘date night’. The obvious choice is to watch a movie, but for movie buffs, it’s not just about watching a movie. They want to go headlong into a movie and know its ins and outs. DVD commentary, director interviews, gag reels, it’s a part of the experience. How, then, can watching a movie be just watching a movie?
Don’t sweat it for there are at least a few things that can spice up the movie lover date night. These five ideas may just be the antidote for the mundane date night blues:
1. Play a movie-themed board game – Sure, this seems like just staying home playing a board game. The kicker, though, is that the game is based off of a movie, preferably one with which each person is familiar. Think Trivial Pursuit meets The Godfather trilogy or Scene It meets the Twilight saga. A little competition can make for a very fun night, and the stakes can even be a little fun. For example, maybe you get a kiss from the other person every time they answer a question wrong.
2. Watch a “Worst Movie Based on… ” collection – Why would you decide to spend time with someone you love watching terrible movies? Because each of you thrives on putting together cogent arguments on why they’re so terrible. Movie buffs are self-proclaimed great critics, and this is right up their alley.
3. Getting to Know You – If watching movies is your thing now, why not start from the beginning? Each of you chooses your own favorite movie from when you were a child and watch them together. You’d be surprised how much you can learn from watching your special someone still get tears in their eyes when a certain dinosaur or deer loses their parent.
4. Movies and Food – If you’re watching a movie together & sharing a meal, why not combine the two by watching movies that have food as a central theme? They may even have a particular food that is highlighted (tater tots, anyone?). Not only does it run the gamut in terms of movies you’ll watch, but the eating will divine.
5. Go Out and Experience a “WoW” – On the subject of food and movies, why not go out and have an incredibly new & exciting movie theater experience? New dine-in theaters are becoming popular all over the world, and with theaters offering gourmet fare and speakeasy-hip cocktails (even on-site craft beer!), all you and your sweetie have to do is sit & watch a movie you both want to watch together.
Movie buffs unite as the great date night debate just became a thing of the past. Be creative and spontaneous, and always remember to have fun.