Wood ear mushroom (Auricularia polytricha), is one of the most popular mushrooms in culinary world especially in Chinese cuisine. It is more commonly known as tree ear, dry black fungus, silver ear, mook yee, or cloud ear. Cloud ear is a different type of mushroom but it is almost similar to wood ear mushroom. It is called wood ear mushroom because it grows on a living or dead wood and looks like an ear. The dried and fresh types of wood ear mushroom are available on the market.
Wood ear mushroom has a solid form and thick skin. Its texture is similar to jelly. Fresh mushrooms will be crunchy when cooked. Adding the mushrooms into a soup will certainly give a unique texture and taste. The flavor of this mushroom is not as strong as other mushrooms such as oyster mushroom or shitake. This mushroom has a little forest fragrance and earthy taste.
Dried wood ear mushrooms are rich in vitamin D, vitamin B1 and B2. In some research, it is concluded that this type of mushroom is second highest in fiber. It contains iron three times as much as in animal liver and calcium twice as much as in milk. It is also believed to have many health benefits such as to prevent heart disease and blood coagulation. Some sources stated that it has some substances that can help lower cholesterol levels, prevent atherosclerosis, prevent cancer, relieve hemorrhoids symptoms, and improve digestive health.
Here is a wood ear mushroom recipe you can try. This is for two servings.
– 10 grams of wood ear mushrooms (soaked in water for one hour)]
– 500 grams of water
– 2 tablespoons of instant oatmeal
– 70 grams of frozen vegetables
– Half a teaspoon of salt
– Half a teaspoon of ground pepper
– Half a teaspoon of garlic powder
How to make it:
– Bring water to a boil, put in the mushrooms. Cook them for a while.
– Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir it well.
– Add the oatmeal gradually.
– Add frozen vegetables into it. Cook for a while.
– Ready to serve.
A few serving tips for variation:
1. Serve it along with your daily meals.
2. Put in extra chicken or beef meat for extra protein.
– Energy: 85 calories
– Fat: 1 gram
– Carbohydrate: 15 gram
– Fiber: 9.5 gram
– Protein: 3.7 gram